Translation

Monday, October 13, 2008

Letter from Patty Compean wife of imprisoned border agent

From the Desk of:Steve Elliott, Grassfire.org Alliance

Dear Mr. Elliott,

Thank you so much for your continued support. I must tell you
that the children and I are hanging in there. Our last visit
with Jose was a very good one, although I couldn’t help but
wonder how our youngest, who is now 2 years old would react to Jose.

Even though he's never met Jose and has very little connection
with him, I try to make sure that both our boys don't forget who
their dad is. I show him pictures of his dad and constantly tell
him that Jose is his dad.

When that time of the month comes for our 15-minute call, I
always make certain he hears Jose's voice. I’m happy to report
that my efforts seem to be blessed because during this last
visit, my young son knew Jose was his dad. My heart nearly
burst when he called him dad and gave him a hug. These tiny
moments are the ones that we savor because unlike so many
others, they are all we have right now.

This last visit was such a blessing because it was our first
as a family since his incarceration, and Jose was able to
spend some quality time as father to his kids.

It has been tough. Jose, the kids and I are still trying to cope
with leaving him behind. I've got to admit, it doesn't get any
easier. In fact, it seems to get worse with every visit because
it's a cold reminder of how much time has been lost. These
precious family moments can’t be returned or relived. That's
the hardest part.

This truth is especially tough on Jose. When he turned himself
in to authorities, our children where 12, 2 and 3 months old.
Now they are 14, 4, and 2. He's already missed the first baby
steps, words, graduation from diaper to potty and my oldest son's
first dance. Unless there’s a miracle, Jose will have missed a
whole lot more.

But we are pressing on day by day. My goal right now is to get
the family to a place where no matter what happens we will be
okay. In other words, if Jose is released but can't find a job,
or if he’s forced to serve his whole sentence we will be taken
care of. That's a pressing concern, but it’s also something I
don't want Jose worrying about. I will make sure that I can
provide for us so that he doesn't have to worry about it. It's
my burden, and I'm happy to take it from him.

A few personal notes, Jose is able to shower daily since he has
a shower in his "suite" and the times he's needed medical attention
he's gotten it. I do know that he has several pen pals and is
receiving letters, cards, pictures and reading material from
many Grassfire team members. He specifically wanted me to thank
the team for their continued support and prays that it continues.

We all covet your prayers, and pin our hopes on the day when he is
returned to us!

Thanks again for all you are doing to help us.

Patty

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home